Friday, December 28, 2012

How to Cut Your LUSH Products


Cutting your LUSH products can save you lots of money, and help you get the most out of whatever products you are using. 

There are many different ways to cut LUSH products, and there is no wrong way to do it. I'm going to outline the way I prefer to cut my soaps, and bubble bars. 

In the next few days I will be posting a video version of this tutorial, and will link it below.

Cutting Soaps
  1. Before you cut your soap, get something to cut them on. I usually cut soaps in my room the day I get them, so I just cut them on the LUSH bag.
  2. Get a knife. Some people say you should use a sharp cutting knife, but I find I can get away with using a butter knife (or one you normally use to eat with, just make sure you wash the knives after cutting your soap) to cut with. 
  3. If you're cutting a particularly thick, or hard soap, it may help you if you warm your knife under some hot water.
  4. Figure out what kind of shape you want your soaps to have. I tend to cut them into generic rectangular pieces. Cut them into any shape you prefer, just make sure they are more manageable than the original piece.
  5. Plan out your cuts. Before I cut anything, I make light marks in the soap with my knife in an attempt to make even pieces.
  6. This is optional, but since I like to cut my soap into rectangles, I try to get the pattern/texture (if there is one) on my soap. I do this by standing the soap upright with the pattern facing upward, and slicing downward. If you want this as well, plan accordingly.
  7. Once you've got everything figured out, start cutting. LUSH soap tends to be very soft, so you shouldn't have a lot of trouble slicing up soap.
  8. As soon as everything's cut, I wrap up my soap in plastic wrap and put it in my drawer. You could also store your soaps in an air tight jar (they're available at Michael's) and store them in your bathroom. Just make sure that if they're in your bathroom, water can't get at them easily.

Complete video on cutting LUSH soaps can be found here

Cutting Bubble Bars
  1. I do not cut up my bubble bars the day I buy them. Cutting them up and putting them into storage can be problematic. Sometimes my bubble bars sit for a while without being used, and they lose their moisture. So, I don't cut them up until the day I plan to use them.
  2. Just like cutting soaps, get something to cut your bubble bars on. A cutting board will work.
  3. Get your knife all ready. Once again, I still use a butter knife. Bubble bars are rarely hard to cut. 
  4. Don't forget to plan out all of cuts. There is no need to use all of your bubble bar since many bath tubs are small. I like to cut my bubble bars in halves or quarters depending on the bubble bar and its size.
  5. Start cutting. You will notice that bubble bars do crumble. That's fine. When you use a bubble bar, you crumble them up anyways. I like to save the crumbled pieces and use them up.
  6. After you've cut everything, put your bubble bars into a bag (I use ziplock bags) and store them away from moisture and sunlight. Leaving them near moisture will melt them, and the sun will fade them.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! Clear and informative blog. I just stumbled on it but am looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete